Monash University and Melbourne, Australia
Monash University has five campuses in metropolitan Melbourne and one campus in regional Victoria. The Australian arm of the PLE Conference will be held at the Caulfield campus, which is Monash’s second largest campus, and is home to Arts, Art Design and Architecture, Business and Economics, Information Technology, and Medicine Nursing and Health Sciences programs. Facilities include the Caulfield Library, the Campus Bookstore, Fitness Centre, the Monash University Museum of Art, and an array of food outlets.
Melbourne has been described as one of the world’s most liveable cities. It is safe, well-designed and easy to get around. Melbourne is the cultural centre of Victoria, and hosts world-class cultural events each year. The city boasts:
- Arts and culture – Melbourne hosts a number of international cultural events and festivals each year. The Melbourne International Arts Festival and the Melbourne International Comedy Festival are favourites.
- Sport – Melbourne is home to major sporting events, including the Australian Open and the Spring Racing Carnival.
- Cafes and restaurants – Melbourne is famous for its coffee culture and unique laneway cafes.
- Shopping – From large department stores to busy markets.
- Entertainment – Melbourne is home to a number of amusement parks, recreation precincts, zoos, parks and gardens.
- Night-life – At night, the streets light up with a variety of theatres, bars, night-clubs, restaurants and concerts.
Useful websites for those attending: